To inspire community connections, a healthy lifestyle and sustainable gardening within the
community of Chaparral.
To create a sustainable garden that will foster:
- a sense of unity within our community.
- a space where we can slow down and learn from each other and the earth.
- the growth of local, natural, inexpensive, healthy food.
We value the natural earth.
- To this end, all of our gardening practices will operate free of pesticide and herbicides. In this way we will enrich both the earth and our bodies with the food we have grown.
We value unity within our community.
- To this end, we will make our garden a beautiful, gathering place that inspires and entices connection. We will also encourage and support dialogue through our website and special events.
We value sustainable gardening.
- To this end, we will use gardening techniques that will minimize our demands on our resources, such as composting, minimal usage watering techniques, organic fertilizing and natural pest control.
We value what the earth and gardening bring to people’s lives.
- To this end, we will provide opportunities to all members of the community to participate regardless of their age, ability or circumstances. We will provide garden plots that accommodate special needs and are accessible to all.
We value the knowledge that each community member brings to gardening.
- To this end, we will endeavour to provide opportunities in which knowledge and techniques can be shared between community members. We will encourage multigenerational learning and will seek the advice and knowledge from the array of skills and wisdom present in the community.
We value the importance of good health.
- To this end, we will encourage as many members of the community as possible to participate in the community garden in order to benefit from the healthy, naturally grown food, exercise from the act of gardening and the nourishment of the soul that accompanies working with the earth.